Chie Kasahara leads the IP, TMT and Life Sciences teams at Atsumi & Sakai, and advises many leading non-Japanese and Japanese corporations on protecting their IP rights in a broad range of businesses, including technology, media and retail. Her practice is focused on Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Entertainment, Information Technology, Cross-Border Commercial Transactions and Corporate Law.
Her recent transactions include advising:
- major telecommunications carriers on telecommunication business and IT issues;
- a major international social networking service provider on various aspects of its business in Japan, including data protection and privacy issues;
- a leading networking service provider on data search and data collection issues, including regulatory issues on deep packet inspection;
- the Japanese subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical production company on trademark disputes and brand protection;
- Japanese and non-Japanese advertising agencies on advertising agreements, disputes, etc.;
- software development and distribution companies on software licensing;
- major television production companies and advertising agencies on the legal and regulatory requirements for TV production and advertising;
- a leading international software developer in copyright infringement (including claiming compensation from infringers);
- Japanese and non-Japanese pharmaceutical companies on data protection and privacy issues; and
- a major computer company in relation to data protection in Japan.
She joined Atsumi & Sakai in January 2009 having gained substantial experience of IP/IT and commercial matters both in Japan and New York as a partner of her previous firm.
Chie is a director of the Entertainment Lawyers Network, an active member of the IP Lawyers’ Network Japan and the Corporate Law Study Group of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association.
She has also authored many commentaries on IP, Data Protection, Corporate Law, and Commercial Law issues. Her publication includes:
- "Publication of clinical trial information and the disclosure of conflict of interests in research in five countries - National laws and regulations in UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, and the US -," Journal of Clinical Therapeutics & Medicines No.34 No.6, published in Japanese (2018) [Co-author]
- Getting the Deal Through - Telecoms and Media 2018, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd. (2018)
- Getting the Deal Through - Advertising and Marketing 2018, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd. (2018)
- The Intellectual Property Review - Seventh Edition, Japan Chapter, Law Business Research Ltd (2018) [Co-author]
- Q&As about Entertainment Law: Rights, Contracts, Troubleshooting, Related Laws and Overseas Transactions, Civil Law Institute (2017) [Co-author]
Chie has been recognized as a Leading individual by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (Japan) in the area of TMT (Technology, Media and Telecommunications) for four consecutive years (2016-2019). The Expert Guides also recognized her for five consecutive years (2015-2019) in the categories of Media and Women in Business Law. Chie has been consistently recognized as an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property (2014-2018). She was listed as one of The Best Lawyers in Japan in the category of information technology law (2020).