Chie Kasahara leads the IP/IT, and Telecommunication & Media teams at Atsumi & Sakai, and advises many leading non-Japanese and Japanese corporations on protecting their IP rights in a broad range of businesses, including technology, media and retail. Her practice is focused on Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Entertainment, Information Technology, Cross-Border Commercial Transactions and Corporate Law.
Her recent transactions include advising:
- a Japanese advertising agency on advertising agreements, disputes, etc.;
- major Japanese television production companies and advertising agencies on the legal and regulatory requirements for TV production and advertising;
- a major Japanese telecommunications carrier on all aspects of its corporate and telecommunication business and IT issues;
- a major international social networking service provider on various aspects of its business in Japan, including data protection and privacy issues;
- a leading networking service provider on data search and data collection issues, including regulatory issues on deep packet inspection;
- on TM litigation and IP strategy for Japanese subsidiary company of major material production company;
- software development and distribution companies on software licensing;
- a leading international software developer in its negotiations with NTT (Japan’s national telecoms carrier) to develop its internal systems;
- a number of leading fashion brands on protection and enforcement of their IP rights;
- a Japanese author in relation to negotiations and contracts with a national television broadcaster for the production of animated television programs; and
- a major computer company in relation to data protection in Japan.
She joined Atsumi & Sakai in January 2009 having gained substantial experience of IP/IT and commercial matters both in Japan and New York as a partner of her previous firm.
Chie is a director of the Entertainment Lawyers Network, an active member of the IP Lawyers Network Japan, and the Corporate Law Study Group of the Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association.
She has also authored many commentaries on IP, Corporate Law, and Commercial Law issues, including:
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to Copyright 2016, Japan Chapter, Global Legal Group (2015) [Co-author]
- Data Protection & Privacy (2nd Edition), Japan Chapter, Thomson Reuters (2014)